It’s the start of the holiday season! Here are some therapist tested and kid approved picks for toys that you can find at Kmart to help develop fine motor, gross motor, cause and effect, and play skills.
Developing Early Cause and Effect Skills
These awesome musical instruments are a simple and easy way of teaching your little ones that their actions result in a response. This helps your child to develop early communication and cognition skills. The instruments rely on the lightest touch meaning these toys are perfect for kids that haven’t yet developed the fine motor strength to push on buttons.
- Baby Einstein Upbeat Tunes
- Baby Einstein Sing and Strung Ukulele
- Baby Einstein First Melodies Piano
Developing Gross Motor Skills
Kmart has a range of resources that can be used for motor skill development, sitting, crawling, walking, balancing, jumping, and throwing. Many of these goodies can be used on their own or be used together to create an awesome obstacle course.
- Sensory Water Play Mat: This is a great for encouraging your child to stay in tummy time, propping their body up and using their arms to interact with the water.
- Light Up Play Tent: This is a fantastic sensory tool that will encourage your child to move in and out of the tent (crawling/ creeping/ walking), encourages lots of pretend play and can also be used with tunnel, as an end point of an obstacle course or could be set up in your home as a regulation area!
- Balance Trainer: The balance trainer is great to use for children to develop their sitting balance, tolerance in four-point position and standing balance
- Curved Balance Beams: Children can work on their balance, motor planning and coordination
- Balance Buckets: Great for kids to practice their balance, stepping up and stepping down
- Floor Target: This is great for developing eye hand coordination, throwing, motor planning and another great obstacle course item
- Cone, Pole and Hoop Set: There are endless ways to use this set including stepping over the markers, walking around the marker, jumping through the hoops, climbing under the poles
- Yoga Spin Game: Get ready to move, stretch and exercise as a family with this fun yoga spin game, such a great way to develop strength and encourage mindfulness in your family
Developing Fine Motor Skills
There are some really incredible and affordable toys at Kmart for all ages that are great for developing fine motor skills.
- Write and Draw Jumbo Water Mat: This water drawing mat allows children to draw with just water and water will evaporate over time, allowing it to be used over and over again. It’s a great way to encourage children to hold pencil, make marks, learn to draw and write without creating too much mess!
- Bluey Bath Squirters: Great to use during bath time and in water play to encourage your child to develop hand strength by holding and squeezing
- 21 Piece Animal Tool Set: Kmart stocks a great basic tool set for play-doh which encourages a range of hand skills including pushing, squeezing, manipulating and bimanual skills
- Woden Threading Bead In Tray: A great way to encourage fine motor skills, bimanual control and concentration. Create patterns for your child to copy and thread to encourage pattern recognition, colour recognition and visual perception skills
- Dog Doctor: This game is great for developing grasp on a utensil, fine motor accuracy and eye hand coordination
Developing Executive Functioning Skills
Kmart now stocks ‘Smart Games’, which are multi-level logic games great for developing children’s executive functioning skills. Executive functioning is the cognitive processing of our brains and include problem solving, planning, working memory, flexible thinking and attention. There are many of these games available for different age groups. We narrowed it down to our top 3 choices.
- Three Little Piggies (3-6 years)
- Little Red Riding Hood (4-7 years)
- Penguin Pool Party (6 to adult)